Register your interest back on the main page or email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org for interviewing starting in mid-late August.
As the Head of Software Engineering you'll report to the Chief Technical Officer and responsible for managing cross functional agile teams through our full SDLC from estimation to delivery as well as having direct report responsibility for the engineering staff.
To be successful, you will need to collaborate with our Product Management, Design, Quality Engineering, Technical Architecture, and Systems organisations on everything from roadmap estimation to project execution and delivery.
- Able to roll up their sleeves and play a hands-on role while building a world class team
- Set technical standards and SDLC processes
- Understand software delivery in a startup environment balanced with the rigour needed for sustainable and maintainable products
- Provide technical and career mentoring for the engineering organisation
- Work with your engineering team and leads to plan and track development of all projects through delivery to production
- Provide project status information to the Management Team and additional stakeholders
- Coordinate estimation of operational costs associated with updated/new functionality with our systems organisation
- Use data and feedback from participants and peers to drive continuous optimisation of cross functional team structures and software development processes
- Cultivate a culture of testing and automation throughout the engineering organisation
- Assure that security and accessibility continue to be primary goals in construction of any software
- Collaborate with partner company teams to assure that we're building scalable, available, fault tolerant software
- Collaborate with the product engineering management (Design, Product, QA and IT) team to improve visibility, processes, and communication mechanisms
- Extensive experience developing high performance streaming video applications and high traffic web sites
- Full stack software development experience and capability (.Net, Java, React highly desirable)
- Experience or comfort working with back-end integrations and APIs from the travel industry
- Experience with modern data technologies, relational database systems (MySQL) and ability to work with large databases
- Understanding and knowledge of scaling and proven track record of scaling systems
- Experience profiling and optimising code on all tiers of an application
- A successful track record working as an engineering leader across multiple teams
- Experience leading and contributing to software architecture
- Experience with systems that leverage near realtime data to drive personalised experiences (recommendations, CRM, etc.)
- Experience working with consumer facing digital products supported by travel industry integrations
- Experience with systems which have sophisticated access control/configuration capabilities
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills, with the ability to quickly understand complex systems and data
- Experience balancing managing direct reports and making contributions to the software
- Experience providing project visibility to senior management
- Passion for data driven decision making and continuous process improvement
- B2 English or higher, Portuguese highly desirable
- Passion for lifestyle and travel tech
- Experience working with travel industry
- Experience with Web2/Web3 integration
- We offer competitive salary, incentives, insurance and travel industry perks
- 25 days paid vacation per year, education leave, parental leave and flex-leave available
- Hybrid remote/onsite delivery** from our Lisbon HQ initially (for initial releases) then after 12 months, we will launch our work from anywhere initiative (subject to conditions)
- Sponsorship under the Portuguese Tech Visa scheme available
- Regular team events and activities
- Professional development opportunities and Web Summit tickets
This job description is intended to describe the general requirements for the position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure the proper operations of the team.
* The list of benefits is only indicative and subject to change
** During the initial launch phase of this start-up (est. 6-12 months), all engineering teams will be expected to work mostly from our office in Lisbon.
Oggin portfolio companies don't just accept differences — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Oggin is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate EU law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.